The AfSC mission is to promote the science of Seismology within the scientific community of the African countries, by developing research studies, to extend and enhance scientific co-operation and to train young scientists. The following objectives are of particular interest:
- Facilitate exchange of ideas and personal meetings between scientists by means of the General Assembly of the AfSC, workshops and seminars on special topics, and discussion forums on emerging issues.
- Encourage co-operation between individuals and organisations by establishing Working Groups (WGs) on seismological problems of common international interest, with emphasis on new research topics.
- Promote inter-disciplinary studies involving Seismology.
- Encourage co-operation with other African and non-African scientific and engineering communities.
- Organise, and encourage others to organise training courses in Earthquake and Engineering Seismology, especially for young scientists.
- Operate within the bylaws, regulations and recommendations of the International Association of Seismology and Physics of the Earth´s Interior (IASPEI).